Spring is enjoyable for more than a few reasons: flowers are blooming, you can crack windows for outdoor air and your utility bill is commonly at its lowest. That’s because you’re not using your heater or air.
But as temps begin to increase, so do your energy costs. Here are a few suggestions for saving energy in Charleston and keeping costs down.
1. Schedule Seasonal AC Maintenance
Giving your AC system a yearly maintenance visit can help it run more efficiently and cut down costs. Replacing your air filter will help keep utility bills less expensive.
If your cooling equipment has seen better days, spring is an excellent time to upgrade it. The energy-saving options in modern cooling systems is a big plus in keeping your energy charges down.
2. Turn Down Your Thermostat
There’s a straightforward way you can save up to 10% on home comfort bills. Just dial your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours each day.
Understanding how to efficiently use your thermostat is the smartest way to cut down on energy bills in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re around at home. Consider it this way, the lower the difference between outside temperatures and inside temperatures, the lower your air conditioning expense will be.
- When you’re not at home, set the thermostat to a significantly higher temperature or switch it off. It doesn’t make sense to cool an empty home.
3. Try Other Approaches to Cool Your Space
You can turn to several other approaches to help keep your residence at the right temperature:
- Use a ceiling fan—By starting a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no loss in comfort. Have your fan move counterclockwise during the summer, which forces cool air upward. This disperses cool air more equally when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds shut—Sunlight quickly converts to heat as it moves through windows. Keep your home cooler by drawing blinds and curtains when you’re not using sunny rooms.
4. Think About Buying a Smart Thermostat
You’ve left home and immediately realize you forgot to turn up the thermostat. Then you fret about it the whole day!
Smart thermostats learn your habits and change the temp when you’re out to help you save on your bills. You can also set the thermostat from anywhere with your phone.
These expert ideas will all help keep summer energy charges economical. If you think it’s time to modernize your thermostat or need AC installation, call us at 843-410-6103 or contact us online. We’ll help you figure out the right product for your space. And like always, all our services are protected by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.