How to Stop Carbon Monoxide in Your Charleston Home

February 11, 2015

According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments attend to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide cases each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO2, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s commonly associated with wood stoves, car engines and other fire combustion sources along with gas or oil furnaces.

Why is Carbon Monoxide so important?

The short answer is that CO2 awareness is a matter of life and death. CO2 is among the leading reasons of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO2 poisoning is often confused as the flu, viral infections and chronic fatigue, among many others. This makes CO2 poisoning the invisible killer that needs to be taken seriously by every Charleston homeowner. Serious poisoning takes place from inhaling large concentrations of CO2, but poisoning can also occur over many months or years. Some symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness and fatigue.

How to protect your family from carbon monoxide?

  1. No home should be without a reliable, tested CO2 detector. You can call Pardee Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning to purchase one today.
  2. If you do have a CO detector that is battery-powered, check or replace the batteries regularly; at least every 90 days. It's also a good idea to replace the detector every 3-5 years.
  3. If you experience or have experienced a few of the symptoms stated above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning, and get a second opinion if necessary.

*emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Contact Us