Your air conditioner’s purpose is keeping the air in your home cool, which means that any time you allow heat back in your home, you’re making the air conditioner work harder than it needs to. While the air conditioner is your go-to for cooler air, there are a few things you can do, on top of air conditioner service, to help keep the Charleston heat out and help your air conditioner thrive during the remaining days of summer.
Here are a few tips from Pardee Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning to help keep hot air out of your home:
- Block out the sun. Quite a bit of heat makes its way into your home through your windows. Keep it out by utilizing solar screens, tinted windows and blackout curtains. At the minimum, buy blinds and keep them closed.
- Seal air leaks. The rooms in your home that are air conditioned should be as air-tight as possible. Check out your crawlspace, basement or attic for major air holes like these in the building envelope. We can perform a complete comfort performance assessment for you to identify leaks in walls, ceilings and ducts.
- Check for leaky doors and windows. Check your windows and doors and add or replace caulk or weather-stripping that looks to be torn or showing signs of wear.
- Try no-cook or served-cold meals. Your stove and oven generate a lot of heat in your home. Try some no-cook meals and use your microwave instead of your stove or oven.
- Run the dishwasher and dryer at night. Save any household activities that could generate heat for evenings after the temperature outside drops. You can also let your dishes and clothes air dry and give those appliances a rest.
- Provide window coverage outside the home. Awnings over windows and doors can help protect from the sun’s direct heat. Trees can also offer shade and deflect some of the heat.
- Get a free air conditioner consultation. The ultimate impact on heat is a new air conditioning system evaluation. After learning about new air conditioner systems, technology and options, the ideal option may simply be an air conditioner upgrade.
If you don’t feel like your home is sustaining cool temperatures despite following the tips listed above, it may mean that you need air conditioner service or repair. Air conditioner maintenance is one of the best ways to make sure your equipment is running as it should be and that you are getting optimal efficiency and results. Don’t stay uncomfortable longer than need be. Give Pardee Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Charleston or set up an appointment online to have a pro check out your air conditioner and make sure it’s operating properly.