Hearing weird noises when your air conditioner is running? There's probably something wrong with your unit. If you don’t fix it, it could lead to major—and expensive—problems down the road. We're going to help you understand what’s happening with your air conditioner and what you can do to change it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling - Gurgling generally indicates an issue with your refrigerant line. If you can't determine where the noise is originating from, that's alright. An expert can help determine where this noise is occurring. You can read more information on our gurgling noises guide.
- Crackling - Crackling could come from debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will create a noise outside your house. Old ductwork can produce noise inside your house. Check out our crackling noise guide for more information.
- Hissing - Hissing can be caused by a faulty refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor. Check out our hissing noise guide for more on that.
- Buzzing - Buzzing is likely an electrical issue. Read our buzzing noise guide for additional information.
- Clicking - Clicking can mean you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned. You can check out more information in our clicking noise guide.
- Pulsating - Pulsating can be due to a loose part. Check out our pulsating noise guide for more information.
- Loud Noise - A loud noise from your external unit can signal an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler. Look at our loud noise guide for more information.
- Humming - Humming can begin with fan motor issues or a broken relay switch. Check out our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find additional information about common air conditioning troubles on energy.gov
Should I keep running my system when it’s making a noise?
There are a few cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It's almost impossible to answer this question without inspecting your system.
Usually, we recommend shutting off the unit off and bringing in a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you think there's a problem with your system. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected cost, it's better to get problems taken care of right away. Contacting a professional could help reduce future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please fill out the form below for a free, in-home consultation.