Hearing weird noises when your air conditioner is on? There's probably something wrong with your unit. If you don’t fix it, it could lead to extensive—and expensive—problems down the road. We're going to help you understand what’s going on with your air conditioner and what you can do to change it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling - Gurgling usually indicates a problem with your refrigerant line. If you can't pinpoint where the noise is coming from, that's alright. An expert can help find out where this noise is occurring. You can read more information on our gurgling noises guide.
- Crackling - Crackling could be due to debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will cause a noise outside your house. Old ductwork can produce noise inside your house. Read our crackling noise guide for more information.
- Hissing - Hissing can be caused by a leaky refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor. Check out our hissing noise guide for more information.
- Buzzing - Buzzing is probably an electrical issue. Read our buzzing noise guide for more information.
- Clicking - Clicking can mean you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned. You can check out more information in our clicking noise guide.
- Pulsating - Pulsating can be due to a loose part. Take a look at our pulsating noise guide for more information.
- Loud Noise - A noticeable noise from your external unit can indicate an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler. Check out our loud noise guide for additional information.
- Humming - Humming can begin with fan motor issues or a damaged relay switch. Check out our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find more information about prevalent air conditioning troubles on energy.gov
Should I keep using my system when it’s making a noise?
There are some cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It's almost impossible to answer this question without inspecting your system.
Usually, we recommend turning the unit off and bringing in a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you recognize there's something wrong with your system. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected cost, it's better to get problems fixed right away. Contacting a professional could help reduce future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please fill out the form below for a free, in-home consultation.