When rough weather comes around, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot that comes with it. Staying safe and protecting your home are your greatest priorities, but did you know there are things you can do to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm passes, your AC repair technician will give you the thumbs up?
Taking even a few moments to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm comes can help you prevent damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you arrange for an AC repair professional to check your system afterwards, they can likely provide you with good news that your prep were worth the time.
At Pardee Service Experts, we realize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for severe weather, and time may not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a few tips of what you can do before and after a severe weather event occurs.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are common during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to ensure it is totally off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover has the ability to keep away any debris that gets thrown around during severe weather. Just make sure you have turned the system totally off in advance of covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Ensure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a safe place so that they don’t get tossed about during the bad weather.
- Clear the debris. Once it is ok to go back outdoors, be sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you locate any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Pardee Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly look at your system and decide whether or not an AC repair is a necessity.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in Charleston, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other concerns that might come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for threatening weather in Charleston or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has passed, give us a call at 843-410-6103 or schedule an appointment with Pardee Service Experts through our online scheduler.