Annually, over 20,000 people go to the ER due to carbon monoxide poisoning. This odorless and colorless gas is called the silent killer because it’s essentially undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, according to the CDC, is put off by fireplaces, boilers, furnaces, stoves, and gas ranges so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning rises during the winter months when people are trying to heat their homes. To help keep you safe, Pardee Service Experts is here with a few tips to safety warm your home.
- Put in a CO detector on all floors of your home and replace the batteries annually.
- Keep all possible sources of combustion, such as bedding, paper, or clothing, a minimum of three feet away from space heaters, stoves, furnaces or fireplaces.
- Before starting a fire in the fireplace, always check to ensure the chimney damper is open and unclogged.
- Do not leave portable heaters or fireplaces alone. Turn off space heaters and make sure all embers in the fireplace are totally extinguished before leaving either heating source unattended.
- Space heaters should always be positioned on the floor, and on a hard, fire-resistant surface, like porcelain tile. Keep children and animals away from space heaters.
- When investing in a new space heater, buy a model that shuts off automatically if the heater tips over.
- Do not use a oven to warm your home.
- Have fireplaces, chimneys, gas or oil furnaces, and coal and wood stoves professionally inspected and cleaned annually.
The best thing you can do for your heating system is to ensure it’s not only ready to keep your home warm all winter but also safe, is to schedule your heating tune-up. During your furnace tune-up, Pardee will check to be sure your heating system is operating safely with a full multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 843-410-6103 today and learn how you can save on a fall tune-up through November 25th.