Annually, over 20,000 people visit the ER due to carbon monoxide poisoning. This odorless and colorless gas is known as the silent killer because it’s essentially undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, according to the CDC, is put off by gas ranges, furnaces, fireplaces, stoves, and boilers so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning rises during the colder months when people are trying to warm their homes. To help keep your family safe, Pardee Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning is here with some tips to safety warm your home.
- Install a CO detector on all floors of your home and change the batteries every year.
- Keep all possible sources of combustion, such as bedding, paper, or clothing, at least three feet away from space heaters, stoves, furnaces or fireplaces.
- Before lighting a fire in the fireplace, always check to confirm the chimney damper is open and unobstructed.
- Do not leave portable heaters or fireplaces neglected. Turn off space heaters and make sure all embers in the fireplace are totally extinguished before going to bed or leaving home.
- Space heaters should always be placed on the floor, and on a hard, fire-resistant surface, like ceramic tile. Keep kids and pets away from space heaters.
- When investing in a new space heater, purchase a model that shuts off automatically if the heater falls over.
- Never use a oven to heat your home.
- Have fireplaces, chimneys, gas or oil furnaces, and coal and wood stoves professionally examined and cleaned annually.
The best thing you can do for your furnace is to ensure it’s not only up to the task of keeping your home warm all winter but also safe, is to set-up your furnace tune-up. During your furnace tune-up, Pardee Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning will check to be sure your heating system is operating safely with a complete multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 843-410-6103 today and learn how you can save on a fall tune-up through November 25th.