Preventing it from happening is the most important place to start. Taking appropriate safety precautions will decrease your risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in Charleston.
Here are a couple steps you can take to keep your family safe:
- Warm up your car outside your garage. Cars are a major source of carbon monoxide poisoning, so do not leave yours running in the small space of a garage. The same is true for gas equipment such as lawn mowers or snowmobiles.
- Don’t operate ovens or grills as heaters. These items are safe when used properly but can produce carbon monoxide when used for an extensive period of time in small spaces.
- Don’t operate a gas generator indoors, as it creates fumes.
- Have your chimney examined by a specialist. This makes sure chimneys and vents aren’t clogged and connected properly.
- Verify gas appliances are running correctly, especially your furnace. You can ensure efficient, safe comfort by scheduling routine furnace maintenance with Pardee Service Experts.